We have been home for almost 24 hours
but it seems like a whole lot longer.
The last 3 days have been a major blur
but I am excited to share Beckham's Birth Story:
This story begins in January when Derek and I decided we were ready to start a family. We found out we were pregnant at the end of February and the ETA was November 8, 2013. Fast forward through a lot of nausea, heartburn, tearful fights over silly things, roller coaster of emotions, and anticipation to November 6 when i went in for my 40 week check up. We went into this appointment with the attitude that nothing would be changed from last week and that i would have to carry the baby at least another week. So when the doctor checked me and told me I was dilated to a 3 and that he felt fine inducing me whenever I was in shock! He went to check his calendar and came back with the birth date for Beckham: Monday November 11 at 5am. We agreed that this would be great and headed home. We took the dogs for a short walk around white mountain but while walking we had to stop 3 different times to let the contractions pass. They were getting pretty bad, so we cut our walk short and headed home. While at home we ate some dinner and my contractions were still consistent so we downloaded an app so we could start timing them. They were about 7 minutes apart lasting 2 minutes in duration. I took some Tylenol and put a rice bag on my belly but just like clockwork my contraction was right on time. We went to the bedroom so I could lay down, but between dinner and the pain I was feeling, I started throwing up. Derek was such a trooper, cleaning up my messes and keeping track of the contraction times. After about an hour and a half my contractions were 5 minutes apart. I made a couple phone calls to friends/family who recently had babies and asked when they thought
I should leave... everyone said to go NOW!
When we got to the hospital my contractions were about 3 minutes apart and the most painful pains I had ever experienced in my whole life. The Nurse checked me and said I was dilated to a 3.5-4 and that she would call the anesthesiologist to come and give me an epidural. I called my mom down in Utah and she said she would head to Wyoming. My little sister Tlyncia skipped soccer practice and came straight to the hospital to be there with me. Derek's mom and dad came over from Green River and came to the hospital to see what they could do for us. We checked into the hospital around 8pm and I had my epidural in by 10pm. He had to stab me like 4 times to get it in the right spot. It was really hard to hold still through the contractions but Derek was able to keep me stable and eventually it was in and pumping medicine to my toes. After about 15 mins I couldn't feel my left leg and my right leg was pretty tingly.
My hospital room was pretty big. There was enough room for Derek, Tlyncia, Sandy, Deborah, and my friend Jessica. We all just visited, it was relaxing and fun. Tlyncia braided my hair and painted my fingernails. Jessica took some pre-birth pictures and we were all excited just waiting to see what would happen next. At about 2am the nurse came in and told us the plan. I was dilated to a 5 and she said she was just going to let my body progress naturally so maybe around 7 or 8am I would be ready to deliver. She recommended that we all get some rest until then. so everyone went home and me and derek said we would call them when i was dilated to an 8 and almost ready to deliver. It was about 2:15 when i fell asleep and at 2:30 I was getting woken up by a frantic nurse who grabbed the oxygen mask put it on my face and was rolling me back and forth yelling for the other nurse to get in here! I was freaking out and had no idea what was happening. Derek was following directions like a robot and my job was to take huge deep breaths. Apparently the babies heart beat had slowed from 130 to 60 and it was still dropping. The nurse started poking the baby in the head to try to get him to wake up when we heard the words... "oops, there goes your water! woah now you are a 7! Someone call the doctor we are having this baby now!" I started hyperventilating and shaking uncontrolably. The babies heart rate was back up in the 100's and the nurses were preparing the doctors station for delivery. Derek called everyone and told them to head back to the hospital. By 3:30am things had started to slow down a little bit. I was able to stop shaking, everyone was "in their places" ready to do whatever was needed during the delivery process. Derek had my left leg and Jelena (one of the other nurses) had my other. Starla was the doctor on call and there was another nurse there ready to clean and perform tests on the baby once he was born. The nurse checked me and was surprised to say that i was already at a 10 and the baby was in the +2 position. After one practice push he was crowning.
I let the doctor know that I was going to get the baby out in 3 pushes, then i changed it to 5 because even 5 pushes would make me a superstar, she agreed and the pushing began. 3 pushes later the head was out and one final push and the rest of his body. It took less then 20 minutes from the time the doctor walked in the room and when Beckham was placed on my chest. Derek cut the chord and at that moment we had an instant family bond that could be felt throughout the whole room. Everyone was crying and it was beautiful. Every aspect, every moment, every breath. It was the most amazing experience ever.
Beckham Edward Davis
Born on November 7, 2013 at 3:51 am
7 pounds 2.7 ounces
19 3/4 inches long



2 comments:
Thanks so much for letting me share such an awesome experience. We are so lucky to have you two as our kids and a new grandbaby! We love you!
Oh my Goodness!!!!!!!! Congrats girl. Good work! Can't wait it see more pics of that sweet boy.
Post a Comment