Thursday, September 17, 2009

what life?

so it has been a long time since my last post thanks for all those who have reminded me of my bloggin obligations but in my mind the days have all run together. it typically feels like this...

it's dark when i drive to the valley. I drive when its dark so i can't see where i am and the hour drive seems to go by faster. i dream about ways to teach atomic models, and rack my brain trying to make up songs to teach basic math concepts. i babysit 122 children 8 hours a day so that is approximately $1.70 an hour per child... i come home and give baby regan 43 minutes of what ever type of attention she wants then hit the computer and bust out lesson plans that i end up revising the next day and the next day and the next day. derek comes home a tid bit later (7:10pm) and we visit (aka i notify him of the important aspects of my day) and i say i'm going to bed (7:30pm). I WISH COUNTING SHEEP REALLY WORKED because sleep usually comes but in the form of: i should have made my lunch before i got in bed! Where did I put my keys? i need to make sure to sit josh in the opposite corner as zach tomorrow. Now what did I say to Sarah about making up that one assignment. OH shoot i forgot to put hannahs grade in! and this continues until it's dark when i drive to the valley.

I know it sounds like i hate teaching... but the truth is i love it! it is just a lot of work. Especially being a first year teacher, they say you never catch up... so i have this lovely stress to accompany me until june :) I DO TRULY LOVE TEACHING and lyman is a great place. the students are pretty well mannered, i have a great boss, and i get to make a difference in kids lives everyday! it is so rewarding!

well here are some things i have learned this far...
1) Most teachers are just winging it, so really when i don't feel prepared its like i am an experienced teacher
2) grading is subject to change. there is no such thing as NO LATE WORK ALLOWED

3) your inbox can overflow in a matter of seconds with all the messages being of high importance

4) stamping homework is almost as rewarding to students as getting an A

5) just because i said it 8 times doesn't mean anyone heard it

6) directions don't mean a thing

7) personally saying hello to students in the hallways promotes better classroom management when the students get to class.

8) Teacher work days are teacher WORK days

9) friday jean day exists!

10) teachers dont know everything

well i know this has been a long post with no pictures so i will add one: the house progress

as of today it has the insullation on the walls, all the electrical and plumbing done, and pretty much all the mechanics of the house. so all we are waiting for is walls, stucko, rock, cabinents, floor, and carpet! HOW EXCITING!!!

6 comments:

allison said...

Thank you! I'm so glad to hear how you are doing with teaching, and especially glad to hear that you like it! The house is lookin good!

Kristin and Dan said...

Wow, sounds like some very busy days!! But that's great you are enjoying it. And it looks like your house will turn out so cute, how fun!!

Katie Hodgkiss said...

Hey cute girl. I am glad you found our blog. Looks like things are going well... As for hunting.. My only advise is wear as much bug repellant as you possibly can =) the less bug bites at the end of the day the better =). You'll have fun, any new thing with the hubby is always a blast. =0)

Bridgette said...

You're Great! Keep up the good work! It gets easier, I promise.

Trudie said...

It sounds like to me that teaching is coming along well. You sound very organized and I think the students will respect you for what you do. The house looks good. I can't wait to see it.

kevin and sandy said...

we gain the most from the things we do that are the hardest. I'm glad school is good. The house is looking great