Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Best Friend

Tamika is always trying to get me to write a blog. I am very reluctant as she does an amazing job and her stories are so detailed. I really don’t like getting outdone and she has the upper hand on this for sure. But I have a weekend off and it’s about time I sit down and write something.





Tamika and I got married about two and a half months ago. Since then we have lived apart as I am working away for the summer. We are able to see each other most weekends but that’s about it. It has been really difficult, and has given me a lot of time to think.


Tamika is the best thing that has ever come into my life. From the first words I said to her “nice shoes”, continuing to today we have come a long ways. We’ve had some hills to overcome but each one has made us appreciate the other that much more. The day we got married was the happiest day of my life, and she looked so beautiful, and I knew that I was now able to be with my best friend forever. She means so much to me.




I love that she is so passionate about soccer. A person needs to have something they enjoy and love, and soccer is definitely that for Tamika. I don’t think I ever watched a soccer game ever until I met Tamika and went to watch her with some of my roommates, but I haven’t missed one of her home games since, and try to travel everywhere I can to watch. I even try to find soccer on tv to watch it often too. I’m glad I can share that part of her life. And I guess she appreciates me in the stands as long as I don’t make a fool of myself (or her).



I never thought of Tamika being a “fisherwoman” as she calls it, but I bought her a pole for her to go with me, and she loves it. Even though she refuses to touch the fish, except the last time when I got her to hold it, I don’t mind doing the work if she reels it in. It makes it that much better that she loves to eat the fish. Going to the lake for a morning of fishing is always enjoyable, even if it ends sitting in a lawn chair playing Nintendo DS cause the fishing is slow.




Taking long trips together is always an adventure. One thing I love about Tamika is that we can sit in the car for long periods of time in silence, but still enjoy each other’s company. We don’t have to be in a conversation all the time to like being together. She always comes up with different car games too to try and keep us entertained on the long drives across Wyoming. We always have a good time wherever we go, whether it’s just over the hill to Cheyenne, or to southern California, Yellowstone, or Acapulco.




From the first day she visited my family, they fell in love with her. My little nephew could say her name before he could say mine. She’s always welcome at my house, and my family feels very comfortable with her and that means a lot to me. They love her sense of humor, her beautiful smile, and her outgoing personality.






The thing I like most about Tamika is that she is always beautiful. She always asks for my opinion of how she looks or what she should wear, but she looks so good in everything it’s hard to decide. She can look as good in the morning when she wakes up, or gets done playing soccer, or we go out to eat, I always look at her and think to myself “man how lucky am I, what a good looking girl!”

4 comments:

allison said...

Wow Derek, you need to give rocky a few pointers on how to be a little more romantic! You've got it down! You guys are both great people and we feel so happy to have you as friends!

Trudie said...

Derek: I am so impressed with you, (of course I a quite prejudice I think you know that). I can definitely tell that you are in love and I am glad that you chose Tamika to be part of our family. I love you both.

Mandy said...

that is the nicest thing I have maybe ever heard! Derek- you are a good man! Way to appreciate your wife and express openly to her your love for her and how much she means to you! thats a rarity these days it seems with men- sometimes they don't realize what they have- tamika- you've got a good guy! Always make sure he continues to treat you well (which he will I'm sure) and you guys will always be happy I think. Expressing love to eachother mends wounds, and brings two people closer than people realize. You guys are great!:)

dani said...

so cute!