After much tribulation our apartment is finally complete.
This story actually begins 4 months prior in February so I will start there.
This story actually begins 4 months prior in February so I will start there.
Derek and I got engaged on Valentines Day, and so shortly after we decided it was time to start looking for a place. We checked online on wyoweb, newspapers, flyers, and references. It was a tolling task and we set up many many appointments. And looked at many many apartments and each time there was something not right. For example we couldn’t move in until august, it was too expensive, the location was bad, the ceilings were too low, the apartment was too old, and countless more reasons.
We finally found the most perfect apartment. 2 bedroom 1 bath $500 a month and they had an opening during the middle of May right when we wanted to move in. It was almost too good to be true. We met with the owner filled out the needed paper work and we were on our way. There was only one downfall to this genius place. The time we needed to sign the lease was going to be right smack in the middle of our honeymoon. We were going to be in Mexico so we needed to figure out what to do before.
"Oh, no problem…" our soon to be landlord explained. “You can just sign the papers the Sunday you get back.” We asked if we needed some sort of down payment or if we could sign before we left. But he assured us it would be waiting for us when we returned. We felt good about our soon to be new apartment and left for our honeymoon thinking everything was under control.
We arrived to Laramie Sunday morning, May 18th at 4 am. I slept for about 3 hours, not to mention the whole airplane ride and drive home. So I was up at 7 am and went to my house to pack. I loaded my car brim full and got everything else ready to go in the living room. I rushed over to Derek’s. He was still sleeping. I was too excited so I woke him up to let him know all my stuff was ready to go. It was about 8 am. He leaned over to grab his phone.
“Who are you calling I asked?” “Our landlord he replied.” I thought it best that we at least not call him until 9 am figuring he was doing us a favor by going in on a Sunday. So we began loading Derek’s car. We had it packed full and his room packed before 9 am. We waited for a bit, relaxing. Then he called.
“Are you serious??? … But you said! When?” I watched the blood flow to Derek’s face. He hung up the phone. “He gave our apartment away last Thursday. Another one will be available at the end of June.”
My heart sank. The cars were packed, I was ready to go… now what do we do?
We were back to square one. It was a Sunday morning and 9am. Our chances were slim but we called anyway. I got a hold of 2 landlords. Both of which had apartments located on the same street and both of which said that we could meet them right now to check out the place. We went to the first and it was a nice 2 bedroom one bath for $510 a month plus utilities. We both really liked it but knew not to get our hopes up. We went and looked at the other place also nice but much more expensive. We called the landlord from the first apartment to let her know we liked the place and was interested in moving in. She said we could move in as soon as we signed the paperwork.
To make a longer story shorter we signed the paper work an hour later and began unloading our cars. What a miracle!
It took a lot of time for me to get the boxes unpacked and to get our new home the way we liked it. Derek was back in Green River so it was my task as the new wife to get the house in order. I was almost complete… when just my luck a tornado rolls through Laramie. This odd occurrence hadn’t happened in over a decade and was extremely unlikely, but it happened. And it happened to flood our whole kitchen, living room, and bedroom. So the apartment ordering had to be put on hold while we ripped out the carpets and waited for the carpet and mats to dry. This took a little less than a week. Then we had to wait for the carpenter to come lay and re-stretch the carpet. But now finally our apartment is complete.
And like I said before it is a 2 bedroom. So come visit us in the wild wild (mid) west.
(this is the livingroom and kitchen)

spare bedroom and office

our bedroom

2 comments:
Who says you need help decorating? It all looks SO cute!!! We'll have to come by and see it! I still can't get over the mishap you had with that evil evil landlord of ours!
looks really good! what a nightmare what you guys went through! I'm glad it all worked out in the end!
Post a Comment